When God picks the fat kid first.
A while ago I wrote a blog post about how God is not fair because he sometimes will give your buddy more talents than you.
Rhonda, one of the blog regulars left this comment in response...
"...while you are entrusted with 100 and someone else is entrusted with 10,000, those 100 may be in more desperate need. So, while it LOOKS like the other guy got more, YOU were actually entrusted with more."
Its been a few weeks and I haven't been able to shake that comment because it reminds me that God is not only unfair but...
he's like that kid who makes up different rules to the game in gym.
You see, there was a way things where always done until Jesus showed up and picked the fat kid first.
So yea, not only did God give your roommate more smarts/brains/athleticism than you but he totally changed the rules to the game.
Under his new rules, everything is backwards.
- The last becomes first and the first becomes last.
- The way up is the way down and the way to win is to lose.
- Instead of exalting the top dog, he exalts the underdog.
- Instead of climb 'up' the ladder, he says climb 'down' the ladder....
- Instead of living, he says die.
- Instead of 'be masters', he says 'be servants'.
- Instead of calling the 'rockstar' great, he calls the 'parking lot attendant' great.
In Gods story, the “religious goody two shoes kids who have been serving God all their lives” get to serve drinks at the huge party Jesus is throwing for the “rebellious runaway black sheep kids who have not contributed anything to Gods Kingdom”.
As far as he is concerned, your weakness is strength and less is more.
I know you sometimes feel inadequate and you wish you had more talents/opportunities.
But are you listening to me? Do you hear the words that are coming out of my mouth?
God has changed the rules.
- It doesn't matter if you're the spiritual equivalent of the fat kid that got picked last in gym class.
- It doesn't matter if you're lost or broken.
- It doesn't matter if you're a janitor, garbage man or you pastor a church of 5 people.
- It doesn't matter if you only have 1 talent or are average at everything.
- It doesn't matter if you've struck out at the last one million at bats.
- It doesn't matter if you've disqualified yourself.
It doesn't matter because Jesus changed the rules.
Our rules say guys like Chris Tomlin and Billy Graham are first cause they have more talent [which they do]. Gods rules says the unknown, unpraised woman cleaning the urinal before church is first.
Yes 'the big dogs' get to play. But so do you.
Can I get an amen from anybody who thinks this is great news?
SERIOUSLY. I feel like someone out there really needs to hear this. YOU GET TO PLAY.
The good news in not you're the most talented or influential 'player' on the team cause you're not.
The good news is in Gods story, the little guy is not only the first pick but he gets to play.
The fat kid gets to play. The un-athletic kid gets to play. The foreign kid gets to play. The little guys get to play. We all get to play.
So BIG guy, before you get too puffed up and carried away by your talents, you might want to re-read the rule book and remember that weak is the new strong.
And little guy, before you hide behind the crowd, you might want to turn your TV on cause team Jesus just called your name.
[If you know any 'little' people then please share this post so they can hear the good news or better yet reach out to them today and let them know they are doing great by Gods new rules]
Question: How would the church or our lives be different if we played by the 'new' rules? Other thoughts?
New to the blog?
Join our incredible community (over 1000 people) and sign up for email updates. It’s free, it’s fast, it’s easy and all the cool kids are doing it. Just enter your email below: